Rules & Regulations
General Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations mentioned below are in place to ensure that an equitable service is provided to all users of the library facilities and to maintain a library environment that is conducive to study.
Hours of Opening
1. The Library and Information Centre (LIC) functions from 8.30 am to 8.00 pm from Monday to Friday and from 9.00 am to 5. 00 pm on Saturdays. It remains closed on Sunday and other public holidays.
2. All the patrons must vacate the premise ten minutes before closing time, upon hearing the alarm bell.
3. The Library and Information Centre provides two categories of membership, regular and temporary.
4. The students, research scholars, permanent and contract staff of the institute are entitled to enrol as regular members of the Library and Information Centre. The regular membership is valid till the end of the course in case of students, expiry of the term of contract in case of contract staff and service retirement in case of permanent staff. The filled-in application in prescribed form must duly be recommended by the respective head of the department/section/unit in case of staff and research scholars. No recommendation is needed in case of students. The student membership forms are issued based upon the list of admitted students issued by the Academic Section during the commencement of each academic programme. The filled-in application must be accompanied by two recent photographs. Membership is granted on the express understanding that the members legally bind themselves to return all documents issued to them (which are the property of the institute) on their own and obtain a ‘No-Dues Certificate’ at the time of relief from the institute.
5. The contract staffs have to remit a caution deposit of Rs.4000/- for getting membership.
6. The staff and students of other institutions who visit library for reference purpose are given a temporary membership with the approval of the Director.
7. The patrons are not allowed to bring personal books or any printed material and other personal belongings like bags, umbrellas, etc. inside the LIC. These are to be kept at the property counter outside, at their own risk. Only loose sheets of papers for purpose of taking notes may be taken inside the LIC. However, the users are advised not to leave their precious and valuable items like money, credit card, mobile phones etc. at the property counter.
Reception Desk Verification
8. The Attendant at the reception desk is empowered to examine everything that passes into/out of the LIC. Patrons are requested to give their full cooperation in this matter. On leaving, all users are required to produce all books and items taken out for inspection.
Re-shelving of Books
9. The patrons are advised not to re-shelve the books and journals taken out from shelves for consultation. They should be left on the reading tables or at the free space on the shelves for re-shelving by LIC staff.
10. The patrons must maintain utmost silence inside the LIC and they should not use it as a place for socializing. Also they must behave in a manner that will cause neither disturbance nor offence to others.
11. Removing library materials without getting them properly issued and mutilating the materials by marking, underlining, cutting pages, damaging binding, or in any other way of damaging or defacing library materials/equipments/furniture will be considered as serious offence inviting strict disciplinary action.
12. The willful concealment of a book or other library material shall be considered as an attempt to commit theft.
13. Bringing food or beverage inside is not permitted.
14. The mobile phone should either be switched off or kept in silent mode. Phone usage is highly restricted inside.
15. All the patrons must follow the formal dress code of the institute while visiting the Library and Information Centre.
16. Utmost care must be taken by all to keep the surroundings clean.
17. The staff on duty has the right to request a patron to leave the premises if he/she is found to be violating any of the rules and regulations mentioned at (10) to (15) above or otherwise behaving inappropriately.
18. The library and Information Officer is empowered to withhold information services to a patron for any infringement of the rules and regulations and recommend to the Director for disciplinary action.
19. If a person is found guilty of mutilating the library property, fine will be collected from him depending upon the cost of the material and the extent of damage done, with the approval of the Director.
20. In case of attempt to steal the library materials double the cost of the material will be levied from the offender with the approval of the Director.
21. Cases warranting higher punishments than those prescribed at 17-19 will be referred to the Director for appropriate action.
22. In the case of culprit being a member of staff, appropriate disciplinary action shall be recommended against him/her in accordance with the terms and conditions of service, in addition to collecting fine.
23. The cases of breach of rules and regulations by the visiting patrons of other institutions will be dealt in accordance with the laws of the country.
24. All users of library materials are required to abide by legal or license usage restrictions. For print materials these include compliance with copyright and other limitations on photocopying; for digital resources these include limitations on downloading, printing and commercial use as well as copyright adherence.
25. Photocopying of an entire book is not permitted.
26. No portion of research reports is permitted to photocopy.